Our History

Dennison Associates

DENNISON ASSOCIATES traces its heritage back to the turn of the century, making it one of the oldest patent firms in Canada. It all began in 1904 when Herbert J. S. Dennison began practicing as a patent attorney. Mr. Dennison was one of the founding members of the Patent and Trade-mark Institute of Canada (now known as the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada), the premier professional organization in Canada in the intellectual property field. He was its third president in 1928/29. Mr. Dennison was joined by Douglas S. Johnson in 1946. When Mr. Dennison passed away in 1948, his practice was continued by Mr. Johnson and it continues today as DENNISON ASSOCIATES.

MacBeth & Johnson

MACBETH & JOHNSON was established in 1954 by Douglas S. Johnson and the late John MacBeth. In 1974, John left practice to pursue a full-time career in politics. The firm continued under Doug's direction, focused exclusively on intellectual property law representing a large number of leading companies in a variety of industry groups.

dennison-history.jpg

The Team Today

Today, the lawyers and agents of DENNISON ASSOCIATES and MACBETH & JOHNSON continue the tradition of service established by H. J. S. Dennison and Douglas S. Johnson. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, we are close to the Law Courts and the Toronto Regional Office of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. Our experienced and well-trained professionals and staff combine in a client-focused approach to produce results quickly and effectively.